Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Good Advice for You from Accountants

Yesterday was a good day – I had the opportunity to moderate a career panel for an accounting class. I love it when employers talk to classes about their career paths. I gained many words of advice. I will pass on a select few to you.

You know how I’ve been nagging you to get out there and network? Well, guess what? Networking is going to be important in your career if you choose to go into accounting. The way I see it, you might as well start now –get out there and meet new people. Build relationships.
If you want to move up in your career, you will have to work hard to distinguish yourself from others at work. And, guess what – if you want to get a job, you will have to work hard to distinguish yourself from other students and additional people in the job pool. Again, you might as well start now.
In order to be considered for many jobs, it is important to have a good gpa (I’m thinking at least a 3.0 when I say “good”).  Employers also like to see that you have leadership skills which can be demonstrated by being an officer in a student organization. And. . .many employers like to hire candidates who give back to the community—who volunteer.

So, to wrap it up: study hard and maintain at least a 3.0 gpa, join student organizations and take on a leadership role, volunteer, and network. That’s enough advice for today. But, I’m real sure those accountants knew what they were talking about. Get a job!

No comments:

Post a Comment