Friday, April 20, 2012

The Communication Field

Interview with Jeremy Hubbard, News Anchor Fox 31 Denver

I used to live around the corner from Jeremy Hubbard, News Anchor for Denver’s Fox 31 and 1996 graduate of Wichita State. So, earlier this week, I pulled the “work at your Alma mater and used to be your neighbor” card and got Jeremy to answer a few questions. My questions and his answers follow.  

1.  Jeremy, when did you decide you wanted to be a news anchor? “I think I always knew I wanted to be a television anchor.  I remember when I was 12 years old (living across the street from you guys on 9th Street) I set up a fake studio in our basement, and I'd pretend to do a newscast.  Then I remember when I was in high school, and an earthquake struck San Francisco during the world series.  I stayed up all night watching the news coverage of the quake, and I couldn't get enough.  I wanted to be there... to be in the middle of it.  I've had the same reaction ever since, anytime I hear about a big news story.  It's been in my blood for years.”

2.  What has been the most important thing you have done that has led to your success? “The most important thing?  Working nonstop.  I think the one way to get ahead is to just never, ever stop.  Even now, I work 12 to 14 hour days, because I have to.  I'm always busy, always working.  The job market is SOOOOO competitive right now (especially in the journalism field, which is shrinking, and jobs are disappearing) that bosses want someone who is going to bust their hump.”

3.  “What advice do you have for students who might want to follow in your footsteps?”  Advice?  Start making contact with the pros.  Get an internship, ask a reporter if you can shadow them on the job for a day.  Do whatever it takes.  Network with people who are already doing what you want to do... and show them what you've got!!!

Thanks, Jeremy – nice talking with you again!

No comments:

Post a Comment