Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Rachel's Job Search Phase 3

Phase 3: Interviewing (The Waiting Game)

 This part of the job search process can only be described as an emotional roller coaster. With several applications out, there were the highs of invitations for phone interviews followed by the lows of cold form rejection emails. The interview part was actually easier for me than the waiting so I’ll start there. I had both phone and in person interviews and ended up being happy with all of them even though only one turned into a job. I think the reason they went so well was because of the prep work I did which included:

·         Reviewing the application materials. Remember my computer files where I saved all the documents relating to each position I applied for? Yep, those came in very handy here. I would go back and review the job description and my notes, doing some reflection on the way to see if there was anything I could add. I also reread my cover letters and any short answer responses so I was reminded of what they knew about me from my application.

·         Researching the position, office, and organization. I spent a lot of time on different department websites reading mission statements, taking note of special programs or projects, and reading about staff members. I also always looked at the bigger organization (in my case the student affairs division and the university) to know about recent important issues.

·         Reaching out to my network. I knew several people who had worked at one of the schools I applied to and sent a few emails just letting them know I had been invited for an interview and asking if they had any tips or insight. This proved invaluable in the sense of getting a real understanding of the school’s culture and values.

*Be careful with these last two. It is good to be aware and knowledgeable but not a good thing to be creepy or to misrepresent your skills, values, or abilities to get a job. You won’t be happy in the long run and hiring committees can usually tell. Always think about middle ground of what they need and what you offer.


1 comment:

  1. Misrepresenting the skills, values or abilities may land you in trouble. That has to be avoided in any case during interview.


    Sample Statements

    ReplyDelete