Thursday, May 8, 2014

What is the one change you make today?


I just left the Chamber of Commerce Small Business Awards Luncheon. I attended to network and learn about the organizations who were nominated for this year’s awards. I received much more. The speaker, Jon Rolfe, of Carlos O’Kelly’s and Applebee’s, is also the father of four kids under the age of five. His words sent me back to campus with much to think about.

Jon presented a short (not a bad thing) and thought provoking talk including poignant examples of people he knows who dedicated themselves to their careers at the expense of their personal lives. The message he left us with was “Don’t think about what you want to do; think about who you want to become.”

Doesn’t that say it all? Who do you want to become? One thing is sure – we all change. All the time. What changes do we want to purposefully make to have control over our evolving persons?

Small changes count. Shawn T. Smith, Denver Psychologist, says “Luckily, I don't need to make jarring habit changes in order to become the person I want to be. . . That question, who do I want to be in ten years, tells me all I need to know about the present moment. Instead of watching one more rerun of The Office, I'll read a few more pages of a book in the service of becoming more intelligent.”

What is one change I want to make? Today. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment