Thursday, October 10, 2013

Ever considered studying abroad?

Ever considered studying abroad? Courtney Huslig, a WSU business student is doing just that this semester. She was gracious enough to answer questions so I could share part of her experience with you. Courtney also included photos so you can get a glimpse of China yourselves!
Q: Courtney, what motivated you to study abroad?
A: Ever since I was a little kid, I always wanted to go and see the world. My parents have told me stories about how I kept telling them that I was going to Australia when I was little. Along with this passion to see new things and learn about different cultures, I feel that one of the most important things a student can do is study abroad. Many top businesses are looking for students that not only have good grades and are involved, but also have experiences that highlight their ability to handle something completely alien to them.

Q: What do you hope to gain from this experience?
A: First and foremost, I want to experience a greater appreciation for other cultures and different lifestyles. I also want to use this experience as a time to figure out what career path I wish to follow. This is sort of testing the waters on if I could handle being an expatriate (someone who works in a foreign country) or if I would be better suited to stay in the USA. Finally, I am hoping to have personal growth and a better understanding of who I am.
Q: Why China?

A: This is a question I have been asked a lot. The easy answers are that I really like eating Chinese food, I enjoy history and Chinese culture is one of the oldest cultures in the world, and that I wanted to go someplace far away from home. I also chose China as a career move to help bolster my resume for after graduation. Lastly, I chose China based on advice that was given to me. I was told to not pick someplace I could go to vacation whenever I wanted but to pick a culture different than my own that I would want to experience for a long time. China seemed to fit that description better than any other place I had been considering and, while I have found it is very different, I have also found many western influences in China.




No comments:

Post a Comment