Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Dress the Part


I remember when I first read “During your job search, dress professionally and be prepared to meet a prospective employer any time you leave your house.” I groaned as I thought to myself “you have got to be kidding me!”
 
But, you know what? I’m going to give you that same advice. Why? I am a relentless advocate of networking. And, if you’re going to be networking, you need to look the part.
 
You can relax a little bit. I am not suggesting you wear a business suit each time you walk out your front door. I am recommending, however…unless you are on your way to the gym. . .you dress in business casual attire, or at a minimum very nice casual attire, each time you are going to be out in the public eye.
 
Just think about it – how much credibility do you have if you need a shampoo (perhaps even a shower!), and/or you have on a t-shirt with questionable graphics, your best stylin’ jeans that are frayed and sporting a few holes and flip flops.
 
On the other hand, if I meet you and you are dressed in nicely pressed khakis and polo style shirt plus you demonstrate good communication skills and professionalism – I will be able to see myself talking to my friends and coworkers – even my supervisor -- about you.  
 
Networking really is the name of the game. Dress the part.

No comments:

Post a Comment