Thursday, September 8, 2011

Do It Right


I just met with a student doing everything right. We believe in confidentiality so I’ll call her Susan. Susan, who is a sophomore, came in for help with a job search. She said “I am ready to do something in my field of study. I feel not only will it help me with work experience, but it will help me in my classes.”

Susan is definitely right – getting experience in her field, while she is a student, will help her get the job she wants when she graduates. She is taking several positive steps.

1.       Susan registered on Hire a Shocker and completed her profile.

2.       She searched job postings and in a matter of seconds found a job she is interested in.

3.       She left my office planning to go apply with the employer who has the job opening.

4.       She made an appointment to come in next week and work on her resume, cover letter, and reference page.

5.       She is also going to schedule an appointment for a mock interview so she will be prepared  when she gets that call inviting her to come in and talk about that job.

When it comes time for Susan to enter the job market as a new graduate, she will be far more marketable to employers than her classmates who didn’t think ahead.

Why not follow Susan’s example?

Get a job! 

~ jan

No comments:

Post a Comment