Monday, September 27, 2010

Elevator speech? 30 second commercial? The dreaded interview question "Tell me about yourself". Here are a few guidelines to help you prepare.

Start by asking yourself: 1) What are my key strengths? 2) How do my instructors and supervisors describe me? 3) What do I want to let others know about me? 4) Why am I interested in this person or his/her company or industry?

Next, outline your 30 second commercial. 1) Who am I? What do I have to offer? 2) What are the main contributions I can make? 3) What do I want the listener to do as a result of hearing this?

Now, finalize your 30 second commercial. 1) Take each note you made and write a sentence about it. For example: "I have good leadership skills and people seem to look to me for answers." 2) Take each of your sentences and connect them, adding words and phrases to help them flow. For example: I'm an international business major at Wichita State University and will graduate in December. I have good leadership skills and people seem to look to me for answers. I'm excited about what I've heard about your leadership development program and would like to know more about it." 3) Go back through what you wrote and cut out any long or unnecessary words and any jargon. 4) Finalize your speech making it no longer than 30 to 90 seconds.

Here might be the hardest part. Memorize as much of your speech as you can, but focus on making it sound spontaneous and fresh each time you use it.

There you go. The next time you have the opportunity to do some networking or the next time an interviewer says "So tell me about yourself", you're ready.

So. . .tell me about yourself! Email me at jan.mead@wichita.edu to try out your 30 second commercial on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment