Friday, May 29, 2009

An Interesting Breakfast...

So I just went to the most random Chamber of Commerce breakfast in Derby. First off, there was a mariachi band. Which resulted in eighty businesspeople shaking maraccas and singing "La Bamba." Then, at the end, two attendees won a minute apiece in the "money machine" - a phone booth sort of deal with dollar bills blowing everywhere. The idea is to catch as many as possible... and the trick is to lift up your shirt, stuffing all the bills under there.

Yeah, not what I expected in a business meeting. But the point is, it was fun, relaxed, and very easy to meet people. When I introduce myself as from Wichita State, most people assume I'm a student (grr). No, I explain, we're Career Services, we have free job postings and interviews... But if I were, say, a business student, these vice-presidents and entrepreneurs would be equally glad to meet me, exchange cards, and talk about their companies.

Networking activities like this are everywhere. Google local Chambers of Commerce to find their events, many of which are free or $10. The Nonprofit Chamber of Service hosts meetings as well, including a wide range of Sedgwick County nonprofits and agencies:
www.nonprofitchamberks.com/members.html

So get out, have some fun, meet people... who knows where it may lead. A mariachi party, a money machine; maybe even a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment