There are many reasons to volunteer. Let me list a few.
1. To include in your resume.
2. Work can be paid or unpaid. Volunteer work can be a good way to fill a gap in employment.
3. You can maintain skills, or develop new skills, through volunteer work.
4. Volunteering is a great way to meet people and develop relationships. When you volunteer, you work alongside other good hearted people. If those people see you do good work and demonstrate good personal qualities, they may very well think of you if they hear of a paid job opportunity.
5. Working as a volunteer can be a great confidence booster, especially if you're out of work--or job hunting for any reason. Volunteering will get you out of the house and out around people, which can be a very good thing.
Questions? Come see us in Career Services!